Are you a 12-year-old looking to make some extra cash? Whether you’re saving up for a new video game or trying to earn money for a school trip, there are plenty of ways to make money as a 12-year-old. In this article, we’ll explore 15 easy ways for you to earn some extra money.
One of the easiest ways for a 12-year-old to make money is by doing chores and odd jobs around the house or neighborhood. You can offer to mow lawns, rake leaves, or shovel snow for your neighbors. You can also offer to walk dogs, wash cars, or do other tasks for people in your community. These small jobs may not pay a lot, but they can add up over time.
Another way to make money as a 12-year-old is by selling items that you no longer need or want. You can have a garage sale or sell items online through websites like eBay or Craigslist. You can also sell items to friends and family members. By decluttering your space and selling items you no longer need, you can make some extra cash while also creating more space in your home.
Babysitting is a classic way for 12-year-olds to make money. Parents are always in need of reliable and responsible babysitters, and if you have a good reputation, you can make a decent income. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Take a babysitting class: Babysitting classes can teach you important skills like CPR and first aid, as well as how to handle emergencies and keep kids safe. This will make you more confident and attractive to parents.
- Be reliable: Parents need to know that they can count on you to show up on time and take good care of their children. Make sure you communicate clearly and follow through on your commitments.
- Be responsible: As a babysitter, you are responsible for the safety and well-being of the children in your care. Make sure you know their routines and any special needs they may have, and follow the parents’ instructions carefully.
- Build a network: Once you have a few satisfied customers, ask them for referrals. You can also join online babysitting networks or post flyers in your neighborhood to find more clients.
- Set your rates: The going rate for babysitters varies depending on where you live and how much experience you have. Do some research to find out what other babysitters in your area charge, and set your rates accordingly.
Remember, babysitting is a serious responsibility, and you should only take on jobs that you feel comfortable handling. If you are unsure about anything, don’t hesitate to ask the parents for guidance. With a little effort and responsibility, babysitting can be a great way for 12-year-olds to make money.
2. Pet Sitting
Pet sitting is a great way for 12-year-olds to make money because it doesn’t require a lot of experience or special skills. If you love animals and are responsible, reliable, and trustworthy, pet owners will be happy to pay you to take care of their furry friends.
Here are some tips for getting started as a pet sitter:
- Advertise your services: Let people know that you’re available to pet sit by posting flyers around your neighborhood or on community bulletin boards. You can also create a profile on websites like Rover or Care.com to connect with pet owners in your area.
- Set your rates: Research what other pet sitters in your area are charging and set your rates accordingly. You can charge by the hour, day, or week, depending on the needs of the pet owner.
- Get to know the pets: Before you start pet sitting, make sure you meet the pets and their owners to get a sense of their personalities and routines. This will help you provide the best care possible and ensure that the pets are comfortable and happy while their owners are away.
- Be prepared: Make sure you have all the supplies you need, like food, water, toys, and any medications the pet may need. Also, be sure to have a plan in case of emergencies, like a vet visit or if the pet runs away.
- Communicate with the owners: Keep the pet owners updated on how their pets are doing while they’re away. Send them pictures and updates on their pets’ activities to reassure them that their pets are in good hands.
Pet sitting can be a fun and rewarding way for 12-year-olds to make money while spending time with animals they love. Just remember to be responsible, reliable, and communicate well with the pet owners.
3. Dog Walking
If you love dogs, dog walking can be a fun and easy way to make some extra cash. Many dog owners are busy with work or other responsibilities and don’t have the time to give their pets the exercise they need. That’s where you come in.
To get started, you’ll need to advertise your services. You can create flyers and post them around your neighborhood, or create a profile on a website like Rover or Wag. Be sure to include your rates and availability, as well as any experience you have with dogs.
When you start walking dogs, it’s important to establish a routine. Dogs thrive on consistency, so try to walk them at the same time each day. You should also make sure you have all the necessary supplies, including poop bags, water, and treats.
When it comes to pricing, rates can vary depending on where you live and how much experience you have. On average, dog walkers can make $15 to $20 per half-hour walk. Some dog walkers may charge more for additional services, such as feeding or grooming.
It’s important to remember that dog walking comes with a lot of responsibility. You’ll be responsible for the safety and well-being of someone else’s pet, so it’s important to take your job seriously. Always make sure you have a good understanding of the dog’s behavior and any special needs before you start walking them.
Overall, dog walking can be a great way to make money as a 12-year-old. Just be sure to take your job seriously and provide excellent service to your clients.
4. Selling Crafts and Homemade Goods
If you have a talent for making crafts or homemade goods, you can turn that hobby into a profitable venture. Here are some tips to get started:
Research popular crafts and goods
Before you start making your products, research what is currently popular in the market. This will help you determine what to make and what to avoid. You can also check out craft fairs, online marketplaces, and social media platforms to see what types of crafts and homemade goods are selling well.
Create unique and high-quality products
To stand out from the competition, you need to create unique and high-quality products. Use high-quality materials and pay attention to the details. Make sure your products are well-made and durable.
Price your products competitively
Pricing your products can be tricky. You want to make a profit, but you also want to be competitive. Research what similar products are selling for and price yours accordingly. Don’t forget to factor in the cost of materials and your time.
Sell your products online
There are many online marketplaces where you can sell your crafts and homemade goods. Etsy is a popular platform for handmade items. You can also sell on social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram.
Sell your products at local markets and fairs
Selling your products at local markets and fairs is a great way to get your name out there and connect with potential customers. Look for local craft fairs, farmers markets, and other events where you can set up a booth and sell your products.
Selling crafts and homemade goods can be a fun and profitable way to make money as a 12-year-old. With a little creativity and hard work, you can turn your hobby into a successful business.
5. Running a Lemonade Stand
If you’re looking for a fun and easy way to make money, running a lemonade stand can be a great option. Not only is it a classic way for kids to earn some cash, but it can also teach valuable lessons about business and money management.
To get started, you’ll need a few basic supplies, including cups, a pitcher, lemons, sugar, and water. You may also want to invest in a small table or stand to set up your lemonade stand.
Once you have your supplies, it’s time to find a good location. Look for a busy area with lots of foot traffic, such as a park or a busy street corner. You can also ask local businesses if you can set up your stand outside their store.
To attract customers, you’ll need to advertise your lemonade stand. Make signs to display around your stand, and consider offering special deals, such as a discount for repeat customers.
When it comes to pricing your lemonade, it’s important to find a balance between making a profit and keeping your prices reasonable. Consider the cost of your supplies, as well as any overhead costs like table rental fees or advertising expenses.
Running a lemonade stand can be a fun and rewarding way for kids to make money and learn about business. With a little planning and effort, you can turn your lemonade stand into a successful venture.
6. Tutoring Younger Kids
If you have a knack for teaching, you can make money by tutoring younger kids. Many parents are willing to pay for private tutoring to help their children improve their grades or learn new skills. Here are a few tips to get started:
- Determine your area of expertise: Think about what subjects you excel in and what age group you feel most comfortable teaching.
- Advertise your services: Spread the word to friends, family, and neighbors that you are available for tutoring. You can also post flyers at local community centers or schools.
- Set your rates: Research what other tutors in your area are charging and set your rates accordingly.
- Plan your lessons: Before each tutoring session, create a lesson plan that outlines what you will cover and how you will teach it.
- Be patient and encouraging: Remember that everyone learns at their own pace, so be patient and encouraging with your students.
Tutoring can be a rewarding way to make money while helping others succeed. Just be sure to communicate clearly with your students and their parents, and always be prepared for each session.
7. Car Washing
Car washing is a classic way for 12-year-olds to make money. It’s a service that people always need, and it doesn’t require any special skills or equipment. Here are some tips for making money washing cars:
- Start by asking your neighbors if they need their cars washed. You can also offer your services to people you see driving by.
- Set a fair price for your services. You can charge by the hour or by the car. As a 12-year-old, you can expect to earn between $10 and $20 per hour.
- Invest in some basic car washing supplies, such as soap, sponges, and towels. You can find these items at your local grocery store or auto parts store.
- Be sure to offer a thorough cleaning, including the exterior and interior of the car. You can also offer additional services, such as waxing or vacuuming.
- Consider offering a loyalty program to encourage repeat business. For example, you could offer a free car wash after every 10 washes.
- Advertise your services on social media or by creating flyers to post around your neighborhood. You can also ask your parents to help spread the word.
- Be professional and courteous when interacting with your customers. This will help you build a good reputation and encourage referrals.
Car washing is a simple and effective way for 12-year-olds to make money. With a little effort and some basic supplies, you can start earning money in no time.
8. Gardening Services
If you enjoy spending time outdoors and working with plants, gardening services can be a great way for you to make some money. Here are a few ways you can offer gardening services:
- Lawn mowing: You can offer to mow lawns for your neighbors or other people in your community. You can charge by the hour or by the job, depending on what works best for you.
- Weeding and pruning: Many people don’t have the time or energy to keep their gardens weeded and pruned. You can offer your services to help keep their gardens looking neat and tidy.
- Planting and transplanting: If you have experience with planting and transplanting, you can offer your services to help people set up new gardens or move plants to new locations.
- Garden design: If you have a good eye for design, you can offer your services to help people plan and design their gardens.
- Garden clean-up: You can offer to clean up people’s gardens at the end of the season or after a storm. This can include raking leaves, picking up debris, and preparing the garden for the next season.
When offering gardening services, it’s important to be clear about what you can and can’t do. Make sure you have the necessary tools and equipment, and be honest about your level of experience. With a little hard work and dedication, you can turn your love of gardening into a profitable business.
Recycling is a great way to make money and help the environment at the same time. Here are some ways you can make money by recycling:
- Bottles and Cans: Many states have bottle deposit laws that allow you to get money back for returning bottles and cans. Ask your parents or check with your local recycling center to see if this is an option in your area.
- Paper and Cardboard: You can recycle paper and cardboard at your local recycling center. Some centers will pay you for certain types of paper, such as newspaper or cardboard.
- Electronics: Many electronics can be recycled for cash. Check with your local recycling center or electronics store to see if they offer a recycling program.
- Scrap Metal: If you have old appliances or other metal items, you can sell them for scrap metal. Check with your local scrap yard to see what they accept and what they pay.
- Ink Cartridges: Some office supply stores will pay you for used ink cartridges. Check with your local store to see if they offer this program.
- Clothing: You can sell your old clothing to consignment shops or online marketplaces. Some stores will also buy used clothing for cash.
- Books: You can sell your old books to used bookstores or online marketplaces. Some stores will also buy textbooks for cash.
- Furniture: You can sell your old furniture to consignment shops or online marketplaces. Some stores will also buy used furniture for cash.
- Junk Cars: If you have an old car that doesn’t run, you can sell it to a junkyard for cash. They will often pay you based on the weight of the car.
Recycling is not only a great way to make money, but it’s also good for the environment. By recycling, you can help reduce the amount of waste that ends up in landfills and conserve natural resources. So, start recycling today and make some extra cash while you’re at it!
10. Selling Digital Art
If you’re a creative 12-year-old, you may be able to make money by selling your digital art. With the rise of social media and online marketplaces, it’s easier than ever to share your art with the world and find potential buyers. Here are some tips on how to sell your digital art:
Choose a Platform
There are many platforms available for selling digital art, such as Etsy, Redbubble, Society6, and more. Research these platforms and choose the one that best suits your needs.
Create High-Quality Art
Make sure your digital art is of high quality and visually appealing. Consider investing in a graphics tablet or other tools to improve the quality of your work.
Price Your Art Fairly
Research the market and price your art competitively. Don’t undervalue your work, but also don’t overprice it.
Use Social Media
Use social media platforms like Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook to promote your art and reach potential buyers. Make sure to use relevant hashtags and engage with your followers.
Offer Custom Artwork
Consider offering custom artwork for clients. This can be a great way to make money and build a loyal customer base.
Sell Digital Downloads
Selling digital downloads of your art can be a great way to make passive income. Consider offering different sizes and formats to appeal to a wider audience.
Collaborate with Other Artists
Collaborating with other artists can be a great way to expand your audience and reach new buyers. Consider working on a project together or sharing each other’s work on social media.
9. Provide Excellent Customer Service
Make sure to provide excellent customer service to your buyers. Respond promptly to inquiries and address any issues or concerns they may have.
10. Keep Creating
Finally, keep creating and sharing your art. The more you create and promote your work, the more opportunities you’ll have to make money as a 12-year-old digital artist.
11. Selling Used Items
Selling used items is an excellent way to make money as a 12-year-old. You can sell items that you no longer need or want, but are still in good condition. This can include clothes, toys, books, electronics, and more.
Here are some tips to help you sell your used items:
- Clean and organize your items: Before you start selling, make sure your items are clean and organized. This will make them more appealing to potential buyers.
- Take good photos: Take clear and attractive photos of your items. Make sure the lighting is good and the item is in focus.
- Price your items fairly: Research the prices of similar items and price yours accordingly. Don’t overprice or underprice your items.
- Choose the right platform: There are many platforms where you can sell your used items, such as eBay, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and more. Choose the platform that works best for you and your items.
- Be honest and transparent: Be honest about the condition of your items and any flaws they may have. This will help build trust with potential buyers.
Selling used items can be a great way to make money as a 12-year-old. By following these tips, you can increase your chances of selling your items quickly and at a fair price.
12. Teaching Computer Skills
If you’re good with computers, you can make money by teaching others how to use them. Many people, especially older adults, may not be as comfortable with technology and could benefit from some guidance. Here are a few ways you can offer your computer skills to others:
- Offer to teach basic computer skills to family members, friends, or neighbors. This could include things like setting up an email account, using social media, or navigating the internet.
- Create and distribute flyers or posters advertising your computer tutoring services. You could post them at local community centers, libraries, or coffee shops.
- Consider offering your services through online tutoring platforms, such as TutorMe or Chegg.
- If you’re particularly skilled in a certain area, such as graphic design or coding, you could offer more specialized lessons for a higher rate.
When teaching computer skills, it’s important to be patient and clear in your explanations. Make sure to tailor your lessons to your student’s skill level and pace, and be willing to answer any questions they may have. With a little effort, you can turn your computer knowledge into a profitable side hustle.
13. Running Errands
Another way to make money as a 12-year-old is by running errands for people in your neighborhood. This can be a great way to earn some extra cash, especially if you’re already out and about in your community.
Here are a few ways you can offer your services as an errand runner:
- Care.com: As mentioned earlier, Care.com is a marketplace where individuals can request help with running errands. You can create a profile and search for job listings in your area.
- Ask neighbors: You can also offer your services to your neighbors directly. Knock on doors or post flyers advertising your services. Be sure to include what types of errands you’re willing to run and your contact information.
- TaskRabbit: TaskRabbit is a platform that connects people with local freelancers for a variety of tasks, including running errands. You can sign up to become a Tasker and start accepting jobs in your area.
When running errands, it’s important to be reliable and trustworthy. Make sure you communicate clearly with the person who hired you about what they need and when they need it. Keep track of your tasks and make sure you complete them on time.
Overall, running errands can be a simple and easy way to make money as a 12-year-old. Just be sure to stay safe and always get permission from your parents or guardians before accepting any jobs.
14. Video Game Streaming
If you love playing video games and are good at it, you can make money by streaming your gameplay on platforms like Twitch and YouTube. Here are some ways to make money through video game streaming:
- Twitch subscriptions: Viewers can subscribe to your channel for a monthly fee, which can range from $4.99 to $24.99. You’ll receive a portion of the subscription fee, depending on your agreement with Twitch.
- Bits: Twitch’s premium emoticons can be purchased by viewers and sent to you as a form of support. You’ll receive a portion of the revenue from these purchases.
- Donations: Viewers can donate money to you through platforms like PayPal or Patreon. You can add a donation button to your channel to make it easier for viewers to support you.
- Video ads: Twitch and YouTube allow you to run ads during your streams. You’ll receive a portion of the revenue from these ads.
- Sponsorships: You can partner with companies to promote their products during your streams. You’ll receive a fee for each sponsorship deal.
- Affiliate links: You can include affiliate links in your stream description or on your channel page. If viewers click on these links and make a purchase, you’ll receive a commission.
- Selling merchandise: You can create and sell merchandise like t-shirts, hats, and mugs with your branding on it. You’ll receive a portion of the revenue from these sales.
To be successful in video game streaming, you’ll need to build a loyal audience. This means being consistent with your streaming schedule, engaging with your viewers, and creating high-quality content. You’ll also need to promote your channel on social media and other platforms to attract new viewers.
It’s important to remember that video game streaming is not a get-rich-quick scheme. It takes time, effort, and dedication to build a successful channel. But if you’re passionate about gaming and willing to put in the work, video game streaming can be a fun and rewarding way to make money as a 12-year-old.
15. Holiday Decoration Services
If you enjoy decorating for the holidays, you can turn that passion into a profitable business. Many people are willing to pay for help with decorating their homes or businesses during the holiday season. Here are a few ways you can offer holiday decoration services as a 12-year-old:
- Offer to decorate your neighbor’s homes for a fee. You can start by offering to put up lights and decorations for Halloween and expand your services to include Christmas and other holidays.
- Create a portfolio of your work by taking pictures of your decorations and sharing them on social media. This will help you attract more clients and showcase your skills.
- Offer to help businesses in your area with their holiday decorations. You can contact local stores, restaurants, and other businesses to see if they need help with their holiday decor.
- Consider offering custom decoration services, such as creating personalized wreaths or centerpieces for clients.
- Make sure to price your services competitively and fairly. You can research what other holiday decoration services in your area charge to get an idea of what to charge.
By offering holiday decoration services, you can earn money while doing something you enjoy. Plus, you’ll be helping others create a festive atmosphere during the holiday season.
Congratulations! You’ve made it to the end of this article on how to make money as a 12-year-old. We hope you found these 15 easy ways helpful and informative.
Remember, making money as a kid takes hard work, dedication, and creativity. It’s important to always be safe and responsible when trying to earn extra cash.
Whether you choose to do chores around the house, sell items online, or start a small business, there are plenty of opportunities for kids to make money. Just be sure to get permission from your parents or guardians before starting any new venture.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some jobs that 12 year olds can do to make money?
As a 12 year old, there are several jobs you can do to make money. You can start by offering your services to neighbors and family friends. Here are some ideas:
- Pet-sitting or dog walking
- Lawn mowing or gardening
- House cleaning or organizing
- Tutoring younger students in a subject you excel in
What are some ways for kids under 12 to make money?
If you’re under 12, there are still some ways you can make money. Here are some ideas:
- Doing chores around the house for an allowance
- Selling lemonade or baked goods in your neighborhood
- Helping with yard work or gardening
- Doing odd jobs for family and friends
Remember, it’s important to always get permission from your parents or guardians before taking on any jobs or making money on your own.