Are you a 14-year-old looking to make some extra cash? Whether you want to save up for a new video game or contribute to your college fund, there are plenty of ways for you to earn money. With a little creativity and hard work, you can turn your skills and interests into a profitable venture.
One easy way to make money as a 14-year-old is by doing chores and odd jobs around your neighborhood. Offer to mow lawns, rake leaves, or walk dogs for your neighbors. You can also do indoor tasks like cleaning or organizing. Another option is to sell items you no longer need, such as old clothes or toys, online or at a garage sale. These tasks may seem small, but they can add up to a decent amount of cash over time.
If you’re interested in more creative ventures, you can try starting your own business. This could be anything from baking and selling cookies to creating and selling digital art. You can also offer your services as a tutor or freelance writer. The possibilities are endless, and with a little research and effort, you can find a way to turn your passions into a profitable venture.
1. Lawn Mowing
If you enjoy spending time outdoors and don’t mind getting a little dirty, lawn mowing can be a great way for a 14-year-old to make some extra money. Many homeowners are willing to pay someone to mow their lawn, especially if they have a busy schedule or physical limitations that make it difficult for them to do it themselves.
To get started, you’ll need some basic equipment, including a lawn mower, gas, and possibly some safety gear like gloves and goggles. You may also need to invest in advertising to let people know that you’re available to mow lawns. Consider creating flyers or business cards and distributing them in your neighborhood or posting them on community bulletin boards.
When you’re ready to start mowing lawns, be sure to set a fair price for your services. The exact amount will depend on a variety of factors, including the size of the lawn, the condition of the grass, and the frequency of mowing. You may want to charge a flat fee for each mowing or a set fee for the entire season.
One important thing to keep in mind is safety. Lawn mowers can be dangerous if not used properly, so be sure to read the owner’s manual and follow all safety guidelines. It’s also a good idea to wear protective gear like gloves and goggles while mowing.
Overall, lawn mowing can be a great way for a 14-year-old to make some extra money. With a little hard work and determination, you can build up a loyal customer base and earn a steady stream of income throughout the summer months.
Babysitting is a classic way for 14-year-olds to make money. Many parents are looking for responsible and reliable babysitters to take care of their children while they are away. If you enjoy spending time with kids and have a good sense of responsibility, babysitting may be a great option for you.
To get started with babysitting, you can ask your family and friends if they know anyone who needs a babysitter. You can also advertise your services on social media or community bulletin boards. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Be responsible. Parents are entrusting you with the safety and well-being of their children, so it’s important to take the job seriously. Make sure you show up on time, follow the parents’ instructions, and keep the kids safe.
- Be prepared. Before you start babysitting, make sure you have everything you need. This may include snacks, games, and activities to keep the kids entertained, as well as a first-aid kit in case of emergencies.
- Be flexible. Parents may need a babysitter at different times, so be willing to work evenings, weekends, and holidays. If you are reliable and flexible, you may be able to build a steady client base.
- Set your rates. It’s important to set a fair rate for your services. You can check with other babysitters in your area to see what they charge, or you can use online resources to determine a reasonable rate.
- Get certified. While it’s not required, getting certified in CPR and first aid can give parents peace of mind and make you a more attractive candidate for babysitting jobs. You can take classes at your local Red Cross or community center.
Babysitting can be a fun and rewarding way to make money as a 14-year-old. With a little preparation and responsibility, you can build a successful babysitting business and earn a steady income.
3. Dog Walking
Dog walking is a great way for a 14-year-old to make some extra cash. If you love dogs and enjoy spending time outdoors, then this could be the perfect job for you. Here are a few things to keep in mind if you’re considering becoming a dog walker:
To get started as a dog walker, you’ll need to build up a client base. You can start by asking friends and family members if they know anyone who needs a dog walker. You can also post flyers in your neighborhood or advertise your services on social media.
Setting Your Rates
When it comes to setting your rates, you’ll need to consider a few things. How many dogs will you be walking at once? How long will each walk be? What is the going rate for dog walkers in your area? Typically, dog walkers charge between $5-$10 per walk per dog.
While dog walking can be a fun and rewarding job, it’s important to stay safe. Always make sure you have a way to contact the dog’s owner in case of an emergency. It’s also a good idea to carry a whistle or pepper spray in case a dog becomes aggressive.
Overall, dog walking can be a great way for a 14-year-old to earn some extra money. Just make sure you’re prepared for the responsibility and take the necessary steps to stay safe.
If you enjoy helping others learn and have expertise in a particular subject, tutoring can be a great way to make money as a 14-year-old. Tutoring involves teaching and assisting students who need extra help in a subject, such as math, science, or English.
To start tutoring, you can advertise your services to classmates, friends, and family members. You can also create a profile on online tutoring platforms, such as TutorMe, Chegg, or Skooli. These platforms connect you with students who need help in your area of expertise.
When setting your rates, consider your level of experience and the subject you are teaching. Rates can vary, but you can expect to earn around $14 to $30 per hour.
To be a successful tutor, it’s important to be patient, organized, and knowledgeable in your subject area. You should also be able to communicate effectively with your students and adapt to their learning styles.
Overall, tutoring can be a rewarding way to make money as a 14-year-old while helping others succeed in their studies.
5. Selling Crafts
Crafts can be a great way for a 14-year-old to make money. If you are creative and enjoy making things, selling crafts can be a fun and profitable venture. Here are some ideas to get you started:
You can make jewelry using beads, wire, and other materials. You can sell your jewelry online or at local craft fairs. To get started, you can buy a jewelry-making kit or watch tutorials online.
Candles are easy to make and can be sold for a good profit. You can make candles in different scents and colors. You can sell your candles online or at local markets. To get started, you can buy a candle-making kit or watch tutorials online.
You can make and sell accessories like hair bows, headbands, and keychains. You can use different materials like fabric, yarn, and beads. You can sell your accessories online or at local markets. To get started, you can buy an accessory-making kit or watch tutorials online.
You can make and sell home decor items like picture frames, wall art, and decorative pillows. You can use different materials like wood, fabric, and paint. You can sell your home decor items online or at local markets. To get started, you can buy a home decor-making kit or watch tutorials online.
Selling crafts can be a fun and profitable way for a 14-year-old to make money. With a little creativity and effort, you can turn your hobby into a business.
6. Car Washing
Car washing is a great way for a 14-year-old to earn some extra cash. It is a simple business that requires minimal investment and can be done on weekends or after school. Here are some tips on how to get started:
To start a car washing business, you will need some basic equipment. This includes:
- Car soap
- Microfiber towels
- Water hose
- Vacuum cleaner (optional)
You can buy these items at your local hardware store or online. Look for deals and discounts to save money.
Decide on a fair price for your services. The average cost of a car wash is around $10 to $20. You can charge more if you offer additional services like waxing or interior detailing.
Choose a location that is visible and easily accessible. You can set up your car washing business in your driveway or on the street. Make sure to get permission from your parents or neighbors before you start.
Spread the word about your business by putting up flyers in your neighborhood and posting on social media. Offer discounts for referrals and repeat customers.
Always prioritize safety when washing cars. Wear gloves and eye protection when handling chemicals. Keep the area clean and free of clutter to avoid accidents.
Provide excellent customer service to keep your customers coming back. Be friendly, professional, and efficient. Listen to their feedback and make improvements where necessary.
Car washing is a simple and profitable business that can be done by a 14-year-old. With the right equipment, pricing, location, advertising, safety, and customer service, you can start earning money in no time.
7. House Cleaning
If you enjoy cleaning and have a knack for keeping things tidy, you can offer your services to people in your neighborhood who need help with household chores. Many busy families and working professionals are willing to pay for someone to clean their homes, and you can take advantage of this opportunity to make some extra money.
To get started, you can create flyers or business cards to advertise your services. You can distribute them in your neighborhood or post them on community bulletin boards. You can also ask your family and friends if they know anyone who needs help with cleaning.
When you start working with clients, it’s important to establish clear expectations and boundaries. Make sure you understand what tasks you’ll be responsible for and how much you’ll be paid. You should also discuss any specific cleaning products or equipment that you’ll need to use.
Here are some tips to help you succeed as a house cleaner:
- Be reliable and punctual. Show up on time and complete your work in a timely manner.
- Pay attention to detail. Make sure you clean thoroughly and don’t miss any spots.
- Be respectful of your clients’ homes. Treat their property with care and respect.
- Communicate clearly. Make sure you understand your clients’ needs and expectations, and keep them informed of your progress.
- Offer additional services. You can increase your earnings by offering additional services such as laundry or organizing.
With a little hard work and dedication, you can turn your love of cleaning into a profitable business.
8. Running Errands
Running errands is a great way for 14-year-olds to make some extra money. You can offer your services to people who need help with tasks such as grocery shopping, picking up dry cleaning, or dropping off packages at the post office.
Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Advertise your services: Let your friends, family, and neighbors know that you are available to run errands for them. You can also post flyers around your neighborhood or advertise on social media platforms.
- Set your rates: Decide how much you want to charge for your services. You can charge by the hour or by the task. Make sure your rates are competitive with other errand runners in your area.
- Be reliable: Make sure you show up on time and complete the tasks you have been assigned. This will help you build a good reputation and get more business in the future.
- Be professional: Dress appropriately and be polite and courteous to your clients. Remember, you are representing yourself and your business.
- Keep track of your expenses: Make sure you keep track of any expenses you incur while running errands, such as gas or parking fees. You can deduct these expenses from your earnings when you file your taxes.
Running errands can be a flexible and lucrative way for 14-year-olds to make money. By following these tips, you can build a successful errand running business and earn some extra cash.
9. Online Surveys
Online surveys are a great way for 14-year-olds to earn some extra cash. Many survey websites are looking for teenagers to participate in their surveys, and they are willing to pay for their opinions. Here are some of the best survey websites that you can sign up for:
- Survey Junkie: Survey Junkie is a popular survey platform that allows teenagers aged 13 and above from the USA, Canada, and Australia to earn money by taking online surveys. As a member, you can share your opinions on a wide range of topics and earn points for each completed survey.
- Swagbucks: Swagbucks is a website that pays you for taking surveys, watching videos, playing games, and more. You can join Swagbucks as soon as you turn 13 years old. You earn points for each survey you complete, and then you can redeem those points to get Starbucks, Walmart, or even Amazon gift cards.
- YouGov: YouGov is a website that focuses on an older demographic (teenagers who are at least 16 years old) and it’s completely free to join. You will get up to 400 points for every survey you complete. They take between 10 to 15 minutes, so YouGov won’t eat into too much of your time.
- Univox Community: Univox Community is a great platform to find online surveys for teens. You can join as long as you are 13 years old and live in one of the more than 50 countries it is available in. You can find a good amount of surveys here and it also offers free contests you can participate in to potentially earn extra.
- Vindale Research: Vindale Research is a website that pays you for taking surveys, watching videos, and more. You can join as long as you are 13 years old and live in the USA, UK, Canada, or Australia. You can earn up to $50 per survey, and you can also earn money by referring your friends.
Overall, online surveys are a great way for 14-year-olds to earn some extra cash. Just be sure to sign up for legitimate survey websites and be cautious of any websites that ask for your personal information or payment.
10. Social Media Management
If you are a 14-year-old with a knack for social media, then social media management might be the perfect way for you to make money. Many businesses are in need of someone who can help them manage their social media accounts, and they are willing to pay for it.
As a social media manager, your job will be to create and post content on various social media platforms, engage with followers, and analyze data to determine what is working and what isn’t. You will need to be creative, organized, and have excellent communication skills.
To get started, you can reach out to local businesses in your area and offer your services. You can also create a profile on freelance platforms such as Upwork or Fiverr and start bidding on social media management jobs. Here are some tips to help you succeed as a social media manager:
- Develop a strong understanding of social media platforms and their algorithms.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest social media trends and best practices.
- Create a content calendar to plan out your posts in advance.
- Use analytics tools to track your progress and adjust your strategy accordingly.
- Be responsive and engaging with your followers to build a strong online community.
With dedication and hard work, social media management can be a lucrative way for 14-year-olds to make money online.
11. Content Creation
If you have a passion for creating content, you can turn it into a profitable venture. There are several ways to monetize your content creation skills, such as:
YouTube is a popular platform for content creators, and it can be a great way to make money. You can monetize your YouTube channel by enabling ads, sponsorships, and affiliate marketing. You can also create and sell merchandise related to your channel.
Blogging can be a lucrative way to make money online. You can monetize your blog through ads, affiliate marketing, and sponsored content. You can also sell digital products such as e-books and courses related to your niche.
Social media platforms such as Instagram, TikTok, and Twitter can be used to monetize your content creation skills. You can partner with brands for sponsored content, sell merchandise, and offer exclusive content to your followers.
If you have skills in graphic design, you can offer your services online. You can use platforms such as Fiverr, Upwork, and 99designs to find clients.
If you have skills in writing, you can offer your services online. You can use platforms such as Freelancer, Upwork, and Textbroker to find clients.
Recycling is a great way to make money as a 14-year-old. You can recycle a wide range of items, including aluminum cans, glass bottles, and shoes. Here are some tips on how to make money through recycling:
- Aluminum cans: Aluminum cans are one of the easiest and most valuable materials to recycle. You can collect aluminum cans from your home or ask your neighbors to save them for you. Once you have collected a large number of cans, take them to a recycling center and exchange them for cash.
- Glass bottles: Some states have laws that allow consumers to make money from recycling glass bottles. If you live in one of these states, you can collect glass bottles and take them to a recycling center. You can earn money for each bottle you recycle.
- Shoes: You can also recycle shoes for money. Some shoe stores, such as schuh, have recycling programs that allow you to bring in your old shoes and receive a voucher in exchange. You can then use the voucher to purchase new shoes or other items from the store.
Recycling is not only a great way to make money, but it also helps to protect the environment. By recycling, you can help reduce waste and conserve natural resources. So, start recycling today and earn some extra cash while doing your part to protect the planet.
13. Pet Sitting
Pet sitting can be a great way to make money as a 14-year-old if you love animals. As a pet sitter, you will be responsible for taking care of someone’s pet while they are away. This can include feeding the pet, taking them for walks, and providing them with attention and care.
To get started as a pet sitter, you can advertise your services to your neighbors or family friends who have pets. You can also sign up for online platforms such as Rover or Care.com to find pet sitting jobs in your area.
As a pet sitter, you can expect to earn around $15-$20 per day. However, the amount you earn can vary depending on the number of pets you are responsible for and the specific tasks you are required to do.
It is important to note that being a pet sitter requires responsibility and reliability. You will be responsible for the well-being of someone’s pet, so it is important to take the job seriously and provide the best care possible.
Overall, pet sitting can be a fun and rewarding way to make money as a 14-year-old if you love animals and are responsible and reliable.
14. Selling Old Items
Another way to make money as a 14-year-old is by selling old items. You probably have a lot of items lying around that you no longer use or need. These items can include clothes, toys, books, video games, and electronics.
One way to sell your old items is by having a garage sale. This is a great way to get rid of a lot of items at once and make some money. You can advertise your garage sale on social media or put up signs in your neighborhood.
Another option is to sell your items online. There are many websites and apps that allow you to sell your old items, such as eBay, Facebook Marketplace, and Mercari. When selling online, make sure to take clear pictures of your items and write detailed descriptions.
You can also sell your old clothes to secondhand stores like Plato’s Closet or Buffalo Exchange. These stores will pay you cash for your gently used clothing items.
Selling old items is a great way to declutter your space and make some extra cash. Just make sure to price your items fairly and accurately describe their condition to avoid any issues with buyers.
Photography is a great way to make money as a 14-year-old. If you have a passion for taking photos and have a good eye for detail, you can sell your photos online and earn some extra cash. Here are a few ways to make money with photography:
- Sell your photos online: You can sell your photos on stock websites or offer your services as a freelance photographer. Some popular stock websites include Shutterstock, iStock, and Adobe Stock. You can also offer your services on freelance platforms like Fiverr and Upwork.
- Offer your services to local businesses: You can offer your services to local businesses like restaurants, cafes, and shops. They may need photos for their website, social media, or marketing materials.
- Sell prints online: If you have some amazing shots, you can sell prints online. You can set up your own website or use a platform like Etsy to sell your prints.
- Enter photography contests: There are many photography contests that offer cash prizes. You can enter these contests and earn some extra cash if your photo wins.
- Offer your services as a photojournalist: You can offer your services as a photojournalist and sell your photos to newspapers and magazines.
- Take photos at events: You can offer your services to take photos at events like weddings, parties, and concerts.
- Sell your photos on social media: You can sell your photos on social media platforms like Instagram and Facebook. You can also use these platforms to promote your photography services.
- Offer your services to bloggers: You can offer your services to bloggers who need photos for their blog posts.
- Sell your photos to websites: You can sell your photos to websites that need photos for their articles.
- Offer your services to real estate agents: You can offer your services to real estate agents who need photos of properties they are selling.
- Sell your photos to travel companies: You can sell your photos to travel companies that need photos for their brochures and websites.
- Take photos of pets: You can offer your services to take photos of pets for their owners.
- Sell your photos to greeting card companies: You can sell your photos to greeting card companies that need photos for their cards.
- Offer your services to artists and designers: You can offer your services to artists and designers who need photos for their projects.
- Sell your photos to book publishers: You can sell your photos to book publishers who need photos for their books.
In conclusion, there are many ways for a 14-year-old to make money. From traditional jobs like babysitting, yard work, and tutoring to more modern options like content creation and online surveys, there are plenty of opportunities to earn some extra cash.
It’s important to remember that making money as a teenager requires hard work and dedication. You may need to put in extra effort to find clients or customers, and you’ll need to be responsible and reliable in order to keep them.
However, with the right mindset and a willingness to learn and try new things, you can succeed in making money as a 14-year-old. Whether you’re saving up for a big purchase or just looking to earn some spending money, there are plenty of options available to you.
So don’t be afraid to get creative and think outside the box. With a little bit of effort and ingenuity, you can turn your skills and interests into a profitable venture. Good luck!
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some online jobs that a 14-year-old can do to make money?
As a 14-year-old, there are several online jobs that you can do to make money. One popular option is to take online surveys. You can sign up for reputable survey websites and start completing surveys made for kids and earning rewards or cash. Another option is to monetize your social media accounts. You can create content and post it on platforms like Instagram and YouTube and earn money through advertising revenue and sponsorships.
What is a reasonable amount of money for a 14-year-old to have?
The amount of money a 14-year-old has largely depends on their personal circumstances and how they earn their money. However, as a general rule of thumb, it is reasonable for a 14-year-old to have some money saved up for emergencies or future expenses. A good goal to aim for is to have around $500-$1000 saved up. This can be achieved through part-time jobs, online work, or by saving allowances and gifts. It’s important to remember to manage your money wisely and to avoid overspending on unnecessary things.